If cisgender people REALLY thought “biological sex” was important and weren’t just using it to police trans people who complain about health forms, they would
- ask why there’s no intersex option on health forms
- ask why there isn’t a different column where you denote if you’re…
thor is always running into little kids who are thrilled to meet him - he doesn’t really understand the concept of signing autographs, but he starts carrying asgardian toys around in his pockets to give to kids he meets (much to shield’s chagrin - how are we…
(front view) CROCHETED Zelda Twilight Princess. my daughter made!!!! 95% of it she stitched all by herself—no pattern. What’s so great is her many school mates seeing her crocheting at school and in between classes!!! AGAIN, so VERY, VERY PROUD!Such awesome work!
Get Mystique drunk enough, and she’ll reenact Sailor Moon’s transformation sequence.
Val was adopted. Her dad, lovely though he was, wasn’t really her dad. She didn’t know who really was though, and her dad was kind, even if she refused to call him “dad”.
She’d never known why he’d fought so hard adopt her. She was the weird kid at the foster home, the one weird stuff happened around, the one who’d managed to warn Gemma that there was an adder by her foot, and managed to tease the adder away.
(She made things vanish too, though she didn’t know where they went. She could get them to come back, sometimes.)
But Dudley had fought for her, said that yes, the other children were perfectly lovely but Valerian Makepeace was something else, something, he said, pointing to her empty file, no other parents had seemed prepared to accept.
Val was a child Dudley Dursley fought to adopt, and adopt her he did. When things went missing he was never angry. When odd things happened he never demanded to know what had occurred. When the snake crawled up his leg and only Val could get it off he just nodded and said, “just like Harry you are.”
She didn’t really know who Harry was.
But when, that summer, the year she turned 11, an owl landed on her windowsill, holding a letter in its beak, Dudley smiled. “Just like Harry you are,” he said again.
He explained about magic - or what little he could. Explained how his cousin - no, he wasn’t in contact with Harry much anymore, just that odd moving Christmas card each year - could do magic. Explained how there was a place in London, Diagonally, where she could get the things on the list, if she wanted to go.
Val wanted to go.
Dudley sent a letter to his cousin. The address (Godric’s Hollow, what a funny name, Val thought) neatly written and the letter quickly responded to. A barn owl (named Wendelin, apparently) came with a letter saying to go to a particular corner in London, where Harry would meet them.
Meet them he did, him and his whole family, and extended family, red head after red head, and Harry standing dark haired among them all, two dark haired boys, bickering beside him.
"Val are you?" he said, bending a bit so his eyes, dancing and green, were at her height. "It’s alright, I didn’t know what was going on when I was told. You’re a witch. Have you ever done strange things before?"
Val nodded because she had, though she’d always hesitated to call them magic.
"It’s alright. Would you like me to show you how to do something else strange?"
Val nodded because this was an adult not just, as dad did, accepting the strangeness, but asking for it. When she tapped the bricks, lifted by Dudley so she could reach the top one, she didn’t expect anything to happen.
But they moved.
Behind her the army of redheads cheered, and as her dad lifted her down and touched a kiss to her hair she smiled, properly, widely, as she handed the wand back.
She knew what she was now.
(Idea of Dudley having a muggle-born Slytherin daughter from ninnieamee)
I’m a minor Potterhead at best. But I love this.
I love this. I’ve always headcanoned that Dudley turned out ok in spite of his upbringing, and this is the kind of thing that my mental image of Adult!Dudley would do.
I love the idea that Dudley grows up to realise that his parents were horrible people and that the way they treated Harry was wrong. I especially love this.
just cuz she can speak parseltongue doesn’t mean she’s slytherin but this is awesome
I’ve seen that there are literally so many different types of tea available, so I decided to put together an idea of the types of tea that are available to you and what the benefits are.
- Green tea: Green tea is amazing, there are so many benefits, for example it can help to lower cancer risk, green tea is filled with beautiful antioxidants, it can help to lower blood pressure, can prevent and fight tooth decay, improve cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of things like Alzhiemers and Parkinsons. Green tea helps to speed up the metabolic rate as it has an antioxidant effect on the liver, but the other bonus is, it can help prevent bad breath as it has an antibacterial agent within the tea!
- Black Tea: Black tea has been shown to have the highest caffeine content but it has shown that black tea can help protect lungs from damage if you’re a smoker, and may also reduce the risk of a stroke. Black tea can also help with your oral health, for example it can reduce plaque formation of cavities and tooth decay. Black tea can also help with stress (brilliant right?) studies have shown that the amino acid L-theanine can help you relax and concentrate better.
- White tea: White tea is brilliant! It is filled with lots of antioxidants, it promotes the body to have healthy and radiant skin, but also it has been shown to help with heart protection, by thinning the blood, lowering cholesterol and protecting the entire circulatory system. Some researchers have even said if you drink 2 or more cups of tea a day you’re almost 50% less likely to die after suffering a heart attack.
- Oolong Tea: Oolong tea has some similar health benefits to the other teas, for example reducing high blood pressure, strengthening teeth, but also boost metabolism and burn fat cells faster.
- Nettle tea: Nettle tea is one of the best remedies for things like anemia, high blood pressure, rheumatism, arthritis, coughs and colds, congestion, urinary tract infections, kidney and bladder problems.
- Passionflower tea: Passionflower tea is really good if you have anxiety or you struggle with stress, but also there are other benefits such as improving blood circulation, treating physical aches and pains, and helping feeling nausea relief.
- Chamomile tea: Chamomile tea is really popular and can really help soothe stomach and relieves bloating and indigestion. Chamomile can also help to calm people’s minds and help relax you and deal better with stress. If you struggle to sleep at night, having a cup of chamomile tea helps to relax the mind and body and allow you to fall off to sleep naturally.
- Ginger tea: Ginger tea has a lot of benefits, it can help to combat nausea, but also if you suffer from motion sickness, having one cup of ginger tea can help prevent the nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness. It can also improve the stomach performance for example preventing bloating after eating to much, and can also have a positive impact upon your appetite. Ginger tea has also been show to lower bad cholesterol and help detoxify the liver.
- Peppermint tea: Peppermint tea is a very soothing tea, it can help the body digest food better and reduce any digestive issues. It has also been shown that people who suffer with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and gallstones have been prescribed peppermint tea. If you suffer with heartburn, don’t drink peppermint tea, it can it worse in the long run.
- Lavender tea: Lavender tea can help to soothe the mind and body, and can get you naturally off to sleep, it can also help if you’re feeling down and depressed, as it has been shown to lift your spirits. Lavender tea helps soothe and treat colic, bowel infections and an upset stomach, it can also help you reduce coughs, bronchitis, asthma, cold and respiratory problems.
- Lemon balm tea: Lemon balm tea can help to calm nerves and anxiety. However cold lemon balm tea bags can also help to relieve cold sores (win win situation) lemon balm can also help to regulate the thyroid! If you mix lemon balm with peppermint, it can also help calm upset stomach and soothe the digestive system.
- Rosemary tea: Rosemary tea is such a beneficial tea, it can help to relax your muscles aid digestion, if you have gall bladder and liver problems and you drink rosemary tea regularly then it will help relieve the symptoms.
- Hibiscus flower tea: Hibiscus tea is shown to lower blood pressure, reduce high cholesterol and strengthen the immune system as hibiscus tea is rich in vitamin c. If you have hibiscus flower infusions it has been seen to reduce hypertension too!
- Cardamom tea: Both dried white cardamom flowers and the aromatic seeds can be used to make this tea. There are lots of benefits fr example it can help to treat indigestion, to prevent stomach pain, and also help if you’re feeling nauseous. And ladies, if you experience a lot of mood swings when you’re on your period, it can really beneficial if you drink this tea!
- Milk thistle tea: Milk thistle tea does a really gentle cleanse on your liver, it can also help for your liver to function better, but also milk thistle can encourage the production of bile which helps our digestion!
- Rosehip tea: Rosehips are filled with vitamin c which is so important for a healthy immune system and for skin and tissue healthy.
- Lemongrass tea: Lemongrass is often had after dinner as it is seen to aid digestion, and if you drink this after a meal it can help take away that feeling of being really full. Lemongrass also helps relaxation and promotes a restful nights sleep.
- Echinacea tea: Echinacea tea is used a lot to prevent/cure the common cold and can also be seen to enhance the immune system, relieve pains and help to reduce inflammation.
- Yerba mate tea: Yerba mate tea is made with the filled with antioxidants and vitamins, it enhances the ability to focus, enhanced clarity and focus. Yerba mate tea, also helps to make your body use carbohydrates more efficiently (yay) but also yerba mate helps to support cardiovascular health for example it will help fat and cholesterol move through your blood stream so they don’t accumulate on the artery walls.
- Ginseng tea: Ginseng tea is a recommended tea for ladies who suffer with menstrual cramps and can help to reduce the amount of pain a woman is in during her period. Ginseng can also help to lower the blood pressure and increase the energy levels of a person who drinks the tea. Ginseng tea can also help give a libido boost, a heightened sexual satisfaction, but also increase sperm count for a guy.
- Licorice root tea: Licorice root tea can help if you have constipation, it has anti inflammatory properties, and ease the pain of arthritis. Licorice root tea can also help to protect the stomach lining and neutralise the toxin in the liver and help with treating liver disorders.
- Valerian root tea: Valerian root tea is really helpful if you struggle with sleeping so drink this a few hours before you go to sleep in the evening and it will help you to naturally fall off to sleep.
- Safflower tea: Safflower tea is shown to help soothe your nerves and relax you but also helping to strengthen your immunity. Safflower tea is filled full of antioxidants, to help prevent heart disease, decrease inflammation in your arteries and lower bad cholesterol levels.
Put the kettle on and enjoy!
TEA. (Amie, this is awesome!)
This person should give Clark Kent lessons. Look what he can do with JUST HIS HAIR! Kent needs to lose the glasses too before it makes a difference.
Darren Hunt of Utah
The murder of young Black Men by police continues.
oh for fucks SAKE
Y’all he was shot in the back…. HE WAS SHOT IN THE BACK…
He was carrying a sword? This mf in my geography class carried a sword to class everyday and when I expressed my discomfort it was dismissed. But this brotha was shot in the back.
and it was a blunted sword.. couldn’t have cut anybody… but white people walking around with loaded rifles in target…
Exactly! This is evil.
Damn. Niggas can’t even cosplay anymore? I would love to see the cosplay community say something about this but that definitely won’t happen
Also: this paper is edited by a clown. It should’ve been in the first fucking paragraph that this dude was cosplaying. I’m reading this shit wondering why the fuck this negro is walking down the street with a sword and obvious answer is hidden almost at the en of the article.
This dude was cosplaying.
He was dressed up in a costume.
Should all black people just stay home on Halloween this year?
Friendly reminder that the police shot a black cosplayer in the back
Jesus Christ, American law enforcement. Get your fucking shit together.
I grew up having a high degree of confidence and trust in the police. I’m losing that trust fast. Real fast.
Falkirk Wheel - Falkirk Scotland
The Falkirk Wheel takes about as much energy as it would to boil about 8 kettles of water
What? WHAT? What? WHAAAT?
Wait isn’t that the thing from that movie with Jodie Foster and the aliens?
Apparently this is a real rotating boat lift from Scotland and according to the UK tourist website it is indeed so well balanced it actually takes only 1.5kWh of electricity per rotation and that makes me so happy.
Engineers are magicians.
i live in this town. why does a gif of a place that i live in have 14,500 notes wtf
Map of the World by Natural Skin Color
i’m really dumbfounded that i never realized skin colour is literally just caused by being closer to or farther from the equator and the resulting sun exposure and skin darkening
actually, its an adaptation. natural selection. people with darker skin are selected for in areas near the equator, where the melanin that causes the darker color protects them from radiation and protects them from skin cancer and other health defects, and because they are healthier they can pass on that trait more. people near the poles have lighter skin because it allows them absorb more of the limited sunlight to convert to vitamin d.
THIS IS THE THING SOME PEOPLE HATE OTHER PEOPLE OVER.
Evolution of melanin levels based on geographical location.
Where are the Inuit? You know, brown skinned aboriginal peoples located in the northern part of Canada and some of Europe? Cause they sure as hell aren’t white..
Probably in the swath that’s labeled “no data.” I’d like to see stats for those regions myself.